QSL: Lekhwiya trounce Al Gharafa

 10 Jan 2017 - 4:38

QSL: Lekhwiya trounce Al Gharafa
Lekhwiya players celebrate after scoring a goal against Al Gharafa in the Qatar Stars League match at Lekhwiya Stadium yesterday. Lekhwiya won 3-1. Pictures: Kammutty VP/The Peninsula

The Peninsula

Four-time Qatar Stars League champions Lekhwiya put in a commanding performance against Al Gharafa to register a 3-0 win, while Al Khor grabbed vital three points in the 3-1 win over relegation threatened Al Sailiyah.
At their home ground, Lekhwiya grabbed two goals in the first half, with Ismaeel Mohammad and Almoez Ali pouncing on errors from Gharafa keeper Yousef Hassan. Whilst substitute Mohammed Muntari headed in third mid-way through the second half.
It was the home side Lekhwiya who dominated the chances in the opening half.  
After dominating play for large swathes of the first half, Lekhwiya had the ball in the net when defender Khalad Muftah slid in to score from close range, however it was adjudged to be off side by the referee.
However Djamel Belmadi’s side wasn't to be denied and opened the scoring with five minutes left of the first half.
A deep cross from Khalid Muftah was palmed away by Yousef Hassan and Ismael Mohammed was on hand to poke in from close range.
Ali was amongst the chances and made it count in first half stoppage scoring his sides second goal of the evening, profiting from another Yousef Hassan error. Ismaeel Mohammad  pounced on a misplaced pass and side footed the ball into the back of the net from the distance, much to the delight of his team-mates.
Returning striker Mohammed Muntari put the game to rest on the 67th minute grabbing his sides third goal with a close range header.
Meanwhile, Al Khor grabbed a vital three points against Al Sailiyah after beating them 3-1.
It was Al Khor that got off to a dream start, bagging a goal with just three minutes gone thanks to a goal from their Brazilian import Madison who slotted home from close range to give The Knights a 1-0 lead.
The rest of the first half was finely balanced in terms of possession but neither side created any clear cut chances on goal and it went into half time 1-0 to Al Khor.
Al Sailiyah  suffered a body blow when Mostafa Mohamed, took a high boot to the face, giving him an immediate swelling under his right eye and nasty cut on the forehead that took medics some time to treat. This stoppage seemed to break Al SailiyaH’s concentration and just two minute after play had restarted, the Brazilian Madison struck again to make it 2-0 from ten yards out.
Al Sailiyah looked to regain their composure and get back into the game but any chances of a point were snuffed out when Mohsen Yagur found himself in the six yard box and in front of an open goal on the 79th minute to make it 3-0.
?There was some last minute drama and a consolation goal for Al Sailiya after they were awarded a penalty on the 91st minute. Despite Al Khor’s goalkeeper Baba Jibril saving the first attempt, replays showed he left his line before the ball was struck and he was sent off with a second yellow card his protests to the referee who blew for the penalty to be retaken.
Al Khor had already used all their substitutes so up stepped his outfield teammate, Ali Abdul Karim, who valiantly put the gloves on and nearly saved the penalty.