23 migrants found dead in Mediterranean
04 Nov 2017 - 10:29
Rome: Rescuers pulled 700 boat migrants to safety in the Mediterranean and found 23 bodies, an Italian coastguard spokesman said, the second loss of multiple lives recorded in the area so far this week.
A Spanish ship deployed in the European Union's Operation Sophia naval mission recovered the dead, along with 64 survivors, from a sinking rubber boat.
Six rescue operations were carried out in total on Friday, the spokesman said, making it one of the busiest days for rescues in recent months. Seven people were found dead and 900 saved on Wednesday.
The Italian Coast Guard ship Diciotti was heading for the southern port of Reggio Calabria with 764 rescued migrants on board, the ANSA news agency said in a report confirmed by the coast guard spokesman.
Diciotti was also carrying eight dead bodies, ANSA said. It was not clear if they had been among those recovered by the Spanish ship.