CHAIRMAN: DR. KHALID BIN THANI AL THANI
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF: PROF. KHALID MUBARAK AL-SHAFI

World / Middle East

Yemen president accuses rebels of dashing peace hopes

Published: 01 Dec 2016 - 01:16 pm | Last Updated: 16 Nov 2021 - 01:20 pm
A handout picture released by the official Yemen News Agency (SABA) on Nov. 26, 2016, shows Yemeni President Abed-Rabbou Mansour Hadi (C) disembarking from a plane upon his arrival at Aden airport.AFP PHOTO / HO / SABA.

A handout picture released by the official Yemen News Agency (SABA) on Nov. 26, 2016, shows Yemeni President Abed-Rabbou Mansour Hadi (C) disembarking from a plane upon his arrival at Aden airport.AFP PHOTO / HO / SABA.

AFP

Aden: Yemeni President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi on Tuesday accused Shiite rebels and their allies of dashing hopes for peace after they unveiled a new government in areas under their control.

Hadi said Monday's formation by the Iran-backed rebels of a government of national salvation showed their determination to "spread chaos and destruction" and "destroys any chance of dialogue and peace".

Speaking through a spokesman from Yemen's second city Aden, the seat of his beleaguered government, Hadi called on the international community to "condemn this move and hold the militia responsible for the collapse of peace efforts".

Announcing their new government, the Huthi rebels said it was a response to Hadi's "stubbornness" in pursuing a deadly war against them with the support of a Saudi-led coalition since March last year.

On Tuesday, the official Saba news agency cited Hadi's spokesman as saying the president urged the international community to "condemn this move and endorse the militias' responsibility for the collapse of peace efforts".

The war of words comes as the UN envoy for Yemen shuttles between the two sides in an effort to revive a US-backed ceasefire that collapsed after just 48 hours early last week.

Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, who has been trying to persuade the two sides to agree to a government of national unity, met rebel representatives in Oman on Saturday and is scheduled to hold talks with Hadi in Aden.

In a speech later Tuesday, Hadi said that in naming their government the rebels had "killed off the last hopes" of peace talks resuming.

- 'Always open to peace' -

The president, who is usually based in neighbouring Saudi Arabia, flew to Aden on Saturday on his first visit in a year.

Hadi insisted that he was "always open to peace", and praised "the positive role played by the UN and its envoy" to settle the conflict and implement international resolutions "including 2216".

UN Security Council Resolution 2216 calls on the rebels to withdraw from territory they have captured since 2014.

The Gulf Cooperation Council on Tuesday said Hadi's was the "only legitimate government" in Yemen.

In forming their own government, the rebels had shown their "lack of seriousness in engaging in political negotiations" and their "will to hamper the UN mediator's intense efforts to end the war", GCC secretary general Abdellatif Zayani said.

Oman is the only country in the six-nation GCC not to have joined the Saudi-led coalition fighting the Huthis in Yemen.

Fierce fighting has raged on the ground since the ceasefire collapsed.

Rebels attacked loyalist positions in Dhaleh province north of Aden on Tuesday but were repulsed, a military official said.

Three government soldiers and 14 rebels were killed.

Witness Fawaz al-Marissi said the insurgents had been forced to leave their dead behind.

Despite 20 months of Saudi-led military support, Hadi's authority is still largely confined to the south and areas along the Saudi border. The rebels control Sanaa and most of northern Yemen.

The conflict has claimed more than 7,000 lives and left millions of civilians dependent on food aid.