LONDON: Italian jockey Frankie Dettori (pictured) will miss his ride in Europe’s most prestigious race, the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe, on Sunday after suffering a season-ending injury, his business manager said yesterday.
The 42-year-old Dettori, long based in Britain, had to be helped off the track in a wheelchair after a fall before a race at Nottingham, central England, earlier yesterday.
Peter Burrell, Dettori’s business manager, said his client would miss both the Arc at Longchamp, near Paris, and the remainder of the European flat season.
“It’s bad news, not good news,” Burrell said in a statement issued to Britain’s Press Association.
“He (Dettori) went to Cambridge Hospital and X-rays found that he had suffered a fractured ankle.
“He was extremely disappointed on the phone and did not want to discuss it much more than that.
“It’s an extremely painful injury. Sunday is out -- as is the season.” Dettori was due to partner leading contender Treve in the Arc -- a race he has won three times and in which he has competed in the last 25 editions.
At Nottingham, he was unshipped from Eland Ally prior to the 32Red.com Handicap and was unable to put any weight on his right leg as he attempted to get to his feet.
The ride on Treve -- unbeaten in her four starts including impressive wins in the French Oaks and the Group One Arc trial the Prix Vermeille a fortnight ago -- has brightened up a trying year for Dettori.
He served a six month suspension for testing positive - he failed the test at the Arc trials last year -- but picked up the lucrative contract with Sheikh Joann bin Hamad Al Thani at the end of June.
The Sheikh bought Treve after her win in the French Oaks for a reported €7m euros ($9.4m dollars) and the filly is seen as the likeliest threat to Japanese favourite Orfevre.AFP