Rose delays 2014 start

January 12, 2014 - 1:33:09 pm
LOS ANEGELES: US Open champion Justin Rose will delay the start of his 2014 campaign by at least a few weeks because of a shoulder injury, his manager said yesterday.

The Englishman, who won his first major title in last year’s US Open, has mild tendinitis in his right shoulder and has already pulled out of two events later this month which had been on his initial schedule.

The 33-year-old will not play in either the European Tour’s Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship next week or the PGA Tour’s Farmers Insurance Open outside San Diego the following week.

“Doctor’s reports are positive, but with rest and rehab as the only means of recovery, he will be forced to delay his start to the 2014 calendar season,” Rose’s management company, Excel Sports, said in a statement.

Asked by reporters when Rose could be expected to launch his 2014 campaign, his manager Mark Steinberg replied: “Looking like some time in February.”

Globe trotting Rose, a six-time winner on the European Tour, had a late finish to his 2013 campaign as he competed in events in China, Turkey, Dubai and South Africa during November and December, finishing no worse than joint 10th.

Meanwhile, South African Tim Clark pulled out of the Sony Open in Honolulu yesterday because of an elbow injury before he was scheduled to tee off in the second round.

The 38-year-old, who was runner-up at the event last year after closing with a seven-under-par 63 at Waialae Country Club, had carded an opening 73 on Thursday.

Clark’s only PGA Tour victory came at the prestigious Players Championship in 2010, and he competed in only four events on the US circuit the following year because of a lingering elbow injury. AGENCIES
comments powered by Disqus