FIFA defends Suarez ban

June 29, 2014 - 8:59:00 am

RIO DE JANEIRO: FIFA defended the harsh punishment it handed down to Uruguay striker Luis Suarez for biting an opponent during the World Cup, despite complaints on Friday from his coach, politicians and even the man he bit that the record penalty was excessive.

FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke said Suarez’s previous misdemeanours on the pitch had been taken into account. The player was banned twice before for biting during club games.

“If it’s the first time, it’s an incident. More than once, it is not any more an incident,” Valcke told reporters. “That is why also the sanction, it has to be exemplary.

“It was seen by hundreds of millions of people. It is not what you want your kids, what you want the little (ones) who are playing football around the world, to see at a World Cup,” he told journalists at FIFA’s daily tournament media briefing.

He also said Suarez should seek treatment to help him avoid such incidents in the future.

“I don’t know if it exists, but he should do something by himself because it’s definitely wrong.”

FIFA ruled that Suarez bit Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini on the shoulder during Uruguay’s final group match on Tuesday, as his side knocked the Europeans out.

Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez, speaking on the eve of his team’s last 16 game against in-form Colombia, uttered not a word about the match but read a 14-minute statement to a packed press conference during which he railed against FIFA and the media.

“It was a decision much more focused on the opinions of the media who at the conclusion of the match, afterwards, just focused on just one topic,” he said.

“I don’t know what their nationality was - but they all spoke English.” Tabarez added: “I am not justifying anything and saying there should be no punishment. I don’t, though, agree with the theory of having a scapegoat.”

REUTERS

comments powered by Disqus