LONDON: Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has drawn up a contingency plan in the event he fails to land his number one target, Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney, before the transfer window closes on September 2.
The Europa League holders have already had two big-money offers for the unsettled England international rejected and Mourinho hinted after Sunday’s 2-0 win over Hull City that he would eventually make a third attempt to sign Rooney.
“We have Plans B and C,” the Portuguese told a news conference on the eve of today’s home game against Aston Villa in the Premier League.
“Don’t ask me names because it’s difficult to speak about players from other clubs. We have the conditions to try to improve our team by bringing in one more player and we are going to try that till the end.”
Chelsea will again be without Brazil defender David Luiz because of a hamstring problem but Spain midfielder Juan Mata is hoping to feature after missing the opening game of the season against Hull.
The club’s player of the year f said he was now ready to return.
“I didn’t train for a few days but I came back, worked with the physios and on Thursday last week I trained with the first team, not at 100 percent but trying to get to my best,” Mata said.
“Now I feel better and I am looking forward to playing and starting my season.”
Mata was an unused substitute against Hull and said he was impressed with Chelsea’s performance in which they won at Stamford Bridge. AFP