BESANcON, France: Former two-time Tour de France winner Alberto Contador will not undergo an operation to repair his broken shinbone, he said in a statement.
Contador crashed badly on a descent during Monday’s tough mountainous stage from Mulhouse to La Planche des Belles Filles and was forced to quit the Tour in tears and pain shortly afterwards.
There had been fears he would need surgery on his fractured tibia but he said it would only complicate matters.
“The doctors told me that an operation could increase the trauma,” said the 31-year-old Spaniard.
“However, it means the recovery period will be longer. The good news is that there is no tendon or ligament damage.
“The fracture is in the best possible place. I’ll need two weeks of rest.”
However, Contador said his chances of meeting Chris Froome, who also crashed out of the Tour a week ago with a broken hand and wrist, at the Vuelta a Espana, which begins on August 23, were slim.
“The doctors also told me it would be practically impossible to be there for the start of the Vuelta. But we’ll see how it develops,” he added.
Meanwhile, a decision on whether Contador can take part in the Vuelta next month will be made in a couple of weeks, the Spaniard’s sports director said yesterday.
Contador is hoping to salvage his season by taking part in the Tour of Spain, the season’s last grand tour.
He flew to Madrid on Tuesday to receive treatment on his shinbone.
“Alberto is OK. He returned to hospital in Madrid yesterday and they confirmed the shinbone fracture,” Tinkoff-Saxo sports director Philippe Mauduit told reporters.
“The good news is that there is no lesion to the ligaments and surgery will not be required. The Vuelta...it is too early to decide. We hope he can do it and so does he but we must see how fast he recuperates,” the Frenchman added.
“We have to wait 15 days to see how it goes and it is possible that in 15 days he will be able to ride a little bit on the rollers but not on the road yet for sure.”
Several top names are expected to take part in the Vuelta, which starts on August 23, including 2013 Tour de France champion Chris Froome, who pulled out of this year’s race after a crash last week.Agencies