Al Jazeera demands $150m damages from Egypt

April 29, 2014 - 2:40:13 am

DOHA:  The Al Jazeera network has served Egypt with a $150m compensation claim for what it said was damages to its investments in the country  inflicted by the military-led interim government since July last year.

Yesterday the network lodged a formal “notification of dispute” with the interim government of Egypt.

The “notification of dispute” is based on a 1999 bilateral investment treaty between Egypt and Qatar, which stipulates the mutual promotion and protection of investments, Al Jazeera said yesterday.

If there is no settlement within six months, Al Jazeera said it would send the case to international arbitration.

In the months following the overthrow of the government of president Mohamed Mursi by the Egyptian military, Al Jazeera’s journalists and staff have been subjected to a sustained campaign of harassment and intimidation, said the network.

The interim government’s actions have included ransacking and closure of Al Jazeera offices, confiscation of equipment, jamming of transmission and arbitrary detention of journalists. Its broadcast license has been revoked and its Cairo branch was subjected to compulsory liquidation of assets, Al Jazeera said.

Four Al Jazeera journalists remain in custody, and six have been tried in absentia.

According to the bilateral investment treaty signed between Doha and Cairo, investors from both sides should be afforded fair and equitable treatment by the governments of both countries.

The Peninsula

comments powered by Disqus