DOHA: The killer coronavirus-Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) has claimed another victim. A 56-year-old Qatari woman, who was battling several health complications after being infected with the virus, has died.
She died on August 31 after being admitted to the intensive care unit at Hamad General Hospital on August 23. Tests conducted by the National Influenza Laboratory here have confirmed that the deceased was infected by the deadly virus.
The woman is the second Qatari to die after being infected with the virus, the first being a man whose death was reported a few months ago from London.
Two other persons are being treated for the infection at Hamad General Hospital, both Qataris, aged 59 and 29 years.
The Supreme Council of Health (SCH) had said previously that the young Qatari was in a critical condition.
The 59-year-old had recently come back from a foreign trip and had developed symptoms of the virus when he was abroad.
He underwent a thorough check-up at the specialist laboratory at Hamad General Hospital, and is said to be in a stable condition.
Those who were in contact with those infected were also tested for the virus but the results were negative.
However, as per WHO regulations, they are under constant medical observation.
They are, however, allowed to travel if they wish. Recently, the SCH brought over two medical experts from the US to coordinate in conducting tests to diagnose the virus and treatment.
The SCH has, meanwhile, created a link on its website to raise public awareness against coronavirus and has set up a hotline (66740948) which is operating round-the-clock. The SCH has said it is pursuing a transparent policy and is announcing all cases and notifying the WHO about them.
The SCH said it is collaborating with the Hamad Medical Corporation, the primary healthcare corporation and all other healthcare providers in the country to combat the menace. The Peninsula