DOHA: A man and a child died in a fire in a villa in Al Shamal early yesterday.
The man, who tried to rescue the child from the blaze reportedly caused by a short circuit in the room where he was asleep with other children, also died.
The incident occurred at around 3am, sources close to the family told The Peninsula.
The 49-year-old was of Pakistani origin but held local passport, it was learnt.
He died after rescuing three children and slipped and fell unconscious while trying to rescue the child who died.
Sources said elders were sleeping in other rooms. Smoke woke them up but by the time they rushed to rescue the children, the fire had already spread in the room.
Children aged between five and 11 were sleeping in the room. Some of them are on a visit to Qatar, with their family. They are based in Jordan and are in Qatar with their relatives.