18 dead in Jalalabad suicide attacks

March 21, 2014 - 12:00:00 am

Security forces investigate at the site of the suicide car bomb attack in Jalalabad city yesterday.

JALALABAD: Seven Taliban suicide attackers stormed a police station in the centre of Jalalabad City in eastern Afghanistan yesterday, killing 10 policemen and a civilian in a major assault ahead of the presidential election. The attackers also died

The target of the three-hour truck bomb and gun assault was a police station near the governor’s house in the city, which has been the scene of repeated militant attacks in recent years.

The Taliban have vowed a campaign of violence to disrupt the election on April 5, and a spokesman for the insurgents claimed responsibility for the early-morning suicide strike which also left a civilian dead.

“Ten policemen, including the district police chief, were killed and 14 police were wounded,” deputy interior minister Mohammad Ayoub Salangi said. “One civilian was also killed, and all seven attackers.

Sediq Sediqqi, spokesman for the interior ministry, said one or two attackers had holed up in a small room inside the police station before they were finally killed by security forces.

The attack began when a mini-truck loaded with explosives was detonated at the police station’s entrance, leaving debris littered across the surrounding streets as security forces cordoned off the scene.

About 20 people had been treated for injuries at the city’s main hospital.

The area of the attack includes the compound of the governor of Nangarhar province, of which Jalalabad is the capital, several other government buildings and the state-run television station.

Ten days ago Taliban leaders vowed to target the presidential election, urging their fighters to attack polling staff, voters and security forces before the vote to choose a successor to President Hamid Karzai.

On Tuesday a suicide bomber killed 16 people at a crowded market in the northern province of Faryab. There was no claim of responsibility for that attack.

“(These attacks) are an attempt to disrupt the elections, an important political and historic event in the history of Afghanistan,” a government statement said, accusing the militants of receiving support from neighbouring Pakistan.

Previous Afghan elections have been badly marred by violence as the Islamist militants display their opposition to the US-backed polls.

Another bloodstained election would damage claims by international donors that the expensive military and civilian intervention in Afghanistan since 2001 has made progress in establishing a functioning state system.

Nato combat troops are withdrawing from the country after 13 years of fighting a fierce Islamist insurgency, which erupted when the Taliban were ousted from power after the 9/11 attacks on the United States.

Karzai, who is barred from serving a third term in office, has consistently said Afghanistan will hold a safe and clean election, despite previous violence and allegations of massive fraud when he won the last poll five years ago.                         AFP

comments powered by Disqus