ISLAMABAD: The PML-N government appears to be satisfied with the investigations into former prime minister Benazir Bhutto’s assassination case carried out during the Musharraf’s and the PPP’s regimes as Information Minister Pervez Rashid said the government would not go for a separate probe and wait for the court’s decision.
“We will wait for the court decision and then evolve a future line of action,” he said. When his attention was drawn to a statement by PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif before the May elections that if his party came to power it would expose Ms Bhutto’s killers, Mr Rashid said: Since the matter is in court, we cannot initiate a separate investigation.
Four investigations have already been carried out and the case is before a court.
“Let us see what the court decides on the investigation reports already submitted to it,” Mr Rashid said. Benazir Bhutto was assassinated on Dec 27, 2007, in a gun-and bomb attack outside Liaquat Bagh in Rawalpindi.
Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan had claimed responsibility for the attack.
The first investigation was carried out by a joint investigation team, the second by the Scotland Yard, the third by a UN commission in 2009 and the forth by the Federal Investigation Agency.
Former president retired Gen Pervez Musharraf and some senior police officers of Punjab have been blamed for poor security arrangements which contributed to her killing. They are facing trial. Some others accused of being involved in the assassination are in jail. In mid-2002 Musharraf implemented a two-term limit on Prime Ministers.
Both Bhutto and Musharraf’s other chief rival, Nawaz Sharif, had already served two terms as Prime Minister.