30 killed as Libya fighting escalates

 30 Jul 2014 - 1:31

Plumes of smoke rise from a fire burning at a fuel depot near the airport road in Tripoli yesterday.

BENGHAZI: Libyan forces yesterday battled Islamist militants with rockets and warplanes for control of an army base in the eastern city of Benghazi after at least 30 people were killed in overnight fighting.
Intense fighting in Benghazi, Libya’s second city, and battles between rival militias in the capital Tripoli have pushed Libya deeper into chaos after two weeks of the fiercest violence since the 2011 civil war ousted Muammar Gaddafi.
Foreign states followed the United States and the United Nations in pulling diplomats out of the North African oil-producing state after clashes between two rival brigades of former anti-Gaddafi fighters closed Tripoli’s international airport.
A rocket hit a fuel depot near Tripoli airport two days ago, igniting a huge blaze that Libyan fire-fighters yesterday were fighting to put out. Italy’s government and Italian oil group ENI had agreed to help them, the government said.
Three years after Gaddafi’s fall, the OPEC nation has failed to control ex-rebel militias who refuse to disband and who are threatening the unity of the country. The extent of recent hostilities has increased Western worries that Libya is sliding towards becoming a failed state and may once again go to war.
In Benghazi, battles have intensified since special forces and regular air force units joined ranks with a renegade army general, Khalifa Haftar, who launched a campaign against Islamist militants entrenched in the city, the home of the revolution against Gaddafi’s more than 40-year rule.
“Groups of terrorists calling themselves Al Shoura Council Forces are attacking the government’s main military base,” Colonel Wanis Bukhamada, a special forces spokesman in Benghazi, told Reuters. “We have received 30 corpses so far,” a medical source told Reuters at Benghazi’s main hospital.

A masked Libyan
gunman in a street
in the eastern city of
Benghazi, early yesterday.

Islamist fighters from one of those groups, Ansar Al Sharia, classified as a foreign terrorist organisation by Washington, have been blamed by authorities for carrying out the attack on the US Benghazi consulate in 2012 in which the US ambassador was killed. A government MiG warplane crashed during yesterday’s fighting in Benghazi. A Reuters reporter saw the pilot parachuting to ground after hearing an explosion. A spokesman for Haftar’s forces said it was due to a technical problem.
Eastern Libya, where some of the country’s major oil ports are concentrated, was where opposition to Gaddafi was strongest.
While tribal lifestyles declined in Libya as the country’s growing oil wealth meant people moved into towns, traditional power structures within this nation of about six million people remained strong beneath the surface.
Gaddafi’s strategy effectively amounted to a system of divide and rule, buying off established tribal leaders.
In Egypt, the army proved to be the supreme political force but in the post-Gaddafi era powerful militias have taken over fighting for power, influence and oil wealth.
Tripoli was quieter yesterday than over the last fortnight during which the two brigades of former rebels, mainly from the towns of Zintan and Misrata, have pounded each other’s positions with Grad rockets, artillery fire and cannons, turning the south of the capital into a battlefield.
At least 160 people have died in Tripoli and Benghazi during the clashes in the two cities, according to the Health Ministry.
A spokesman for the National Oil Corporation said yesterday the armed factions in Tripoli had agreed to a brief ceasefire to allow emergency services to fight the blazing fuel storage tanks containing millions of litres of fuel.
The tanks are operated by Brega oil company, which is owned by NOC, and store oil for local consumption in Libya.
Black smoke was billowing from one of the tanks hit by a rocket on Sunday near the airport road. The highway and surrounding areas were empty after homes in the area were evacuated, except for occasional militia roadblocks.