60 Syria soldiers among dead in battle: Report

July 21, 2014 - 5:44:08 am

BEIRUT: At least 60 soldiers and pro-regime fighters were among the 270 killed in a bloody jihadist attack on a gas field in central Syria, a pro-regime newspaper reported yesterday.

With the Syrian counter-attack to try to recapture the Shaar field in Homs province in its third day, Al Watan, citing a military source, give a toll of “60 martyrs” among regime forces.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights had earlier reported it had documented “the deaths of 270 people killed in fighting or executed” by Islamic State (IS) militants.

“A large majority of the men killed were executed at gunpoint after being taken prisoner” in the seizure of the field, said Observatory chief Rami Abdel Rahman. “Eleven of the dead were civilian employees, while the rest were security guards and National Defence Forces members,” he added.

The Britain-based Observatory, which relies on a network of activists and medics on the ground, said at least 40 IS militants and 11 soldiers have been killed in the counter-attack, which was backed by aircraft.AFP

comments powered by Disqus