DUBAI: The Kuwaiti government has threatened to revoke the citizenship of people suspected of trying to “undermine the stability” of the oil-rich monarchy, local media reported yesterday.
The warning is part of an “iron fist” policy adopted by the cabinet on Monday night, following protests earlier this month over the arrest of a prominent opposition politician.
“The Interior Ministry is assigned to take all measures that are necessary to ensure the presence of the conditions and requirements provided for by Kuwaiti citizenship law number 15 of 1959, both in form and spirit, and especially in relation to the practices aimed at undermining security and stability,” the cabinet said in a statement carried by state news agency KUNA.
Kuwaiti political analyst Shamlan Alessa said the measure was aimed at naturalised Kuwaitis who have joined the opposition.
Nasser Al Abdaly, who heads an association to promote democracy, said the move was intended to deter people from expressing any opposition to the government.
Kuwaiti authorities have been investigating an alleged plot to overthrow the Gulf state’s ruling system.
Police last week used smoke bombs to disperse hundreds of people who tried to march from the Grand Mosque to the main court complex to demand the release of Musallam Al Barrak, an opposition politician detained for questioning for allegedly insulting the judiciary.