Court confirms mass death for Egypt Islamists

June 22, 2014 - 4:45:40 am
Protesters march during a rally against anti-protest legislation in Cairo

MINYA: An Egyptian court yesterday confirmed death sentences for more than 180 Islamists, including Muslim Brotherhood chief Mohamed Badie, after a mass trial that sparked an international outcry.

The court in the central city of Minya initially sentenced 683 people to death, but yesterday commuted death sentences of four defendants to life in prison and acquitted 496 others, prosecutor Abdel Rahim Abdel Malik said.

Since the army ousted Islamist president Mohamed Mursi in July last year, hundreds of his supporters and Badie himself have been sentenced to death in trials roundly criticised by human rights watchdogs.

The 183 whose death sentences were confirmed yesterday were convicted of involvement in the murder of two policemen and the attempted murder of five others in Minya province on August 14, the day police killed hundreds of Mursi supporters in Cairo clashes.

They were also found guilty of vandalism, attacking public property, bearing arms and joining illegal organisations, Abdel Malik said. Lawyers said most of those sentenced to death are on the run. Journalists were barred from attending the trial. AFP

 

 

comments powered by Disqus