KUWAIT CITY: Kuwait’s premier and a senior royal filed two separate lawsuits to the attorney general yesterday demanding an investigation into allegations of a coup plot and a huge corruption case.
The country was shaken two months ago after news surfaced about videotapes allegedly showing former senior officials plotting a coup against the government.
Prime Minister Sheikh Jaber Mubarak Al Sabah sent a letter to the attorney general to investigate “allegations of money laundering, abuse of public funds and dealing with Israel,” made during a television interview, acting Justice Minister Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah Al Sabah told state news agency Kuna.
The accusations were made by Sheikh Ahmad Fahad Al Sabah, a senior member of the ruling family, on Saturday. Sheikh Ahmad, a former minister, said he has material evidence that senior ex-officials plotted a coup and stole tens of billions of dollars of public funds.
He has filed a lawsuit over the alleged conspiracy and corruption, providing all the evidence he had collected including videotapes showing the former officials conspiring, his lawyer Falah Al Hajraf said on Twitter yesterday.
The government said in April the videotapes had been tampered with and were not authentic. But Sheikh Ahmad said in the interview he had won a ruling from a Swiss arbitration authority and that the British Supreme Court had attested the videotapes were genuine.
The moves come after similar allegations made last week by prominent opposition members that former high-ranking officials had stolen around $50 billion and deposited them in foreign banks, including in Israel.
The government also said on Monday it plans to file a lawsuit against the opposition leaders for the allegations they made against current and former officials, saying the accusations were not backed by evidence.AFP