Kuwaiti papers suspended over ‘plot’ tape stories

April 21, 2014 - 6:20:13 am
Musallam al-Barrack, the leader of an opposition group planning a series of protests aimed at press reform.

KUWAIT: A judge has suspended two Kuwaiti newspapers for two weeks after they published stories about a recording that discusses an alleged plot to overthrow the Gulf state’s ruling system, their editors said yesterday.

Kuwait has imposed a news blackout on a sensitive investigation into the tape, saying earlier this month that media coverage about it was damaging to the country. 

“I do not think we talked about the tape more than any other newspaper,” Al Watan editor-in-chief Sheikh Khalifa Ali Al Khalifa Al Sabah said.

“This is a great legal error,” he said, citing a notice from the Information Ministry about the verdict against newspapers Al Watan and Alam Alyawm.

Sheikh Khalifa, a member of Kuwait’s Al Sabah ruling family, said the newspaper would contest the decision and continue to update its website. It would not publish its print edition from today, he added.

Alam Alyawm is a publication separate from Al Watan and is close to Kuwait’s political opposition. Its front page yesterday said there was an “uprising against the closure of the newspaper.” 

REUTERS

comments powered by Disqus