Egypt orders probe into August carnage

 20 Mar 2014 - 4:39


Egyptian anti-riot police forces arrest a supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood during clashes near Cairo University in Cairo, yesterday.

CAIRO: Egypt’s interim president Adly Mansour ordered a judicial inquiry yesterday into the dispersal of an Islamist protest camp by security forces in August that left hundreds killed.
The day-long clashes as police and soldiers moved in to break up the sprawling Cairo tent city set up by supporters of ousted Islamist president Mohamed Mursi led to the worst peacetime bloodshed in modern Egyptian history.
Mansour was responding to the final report of an official human rights body which on Monday called for an independent inquiry into the bloodshed at the Rabaa Al Adaweya camp, one of two set up in the capital after the army’s overthrow of Mursi last July. 
Mansour “sent the report... to the justice minister, requesting that he delegates a judge to investigate”, his office said.
The National Council for Human Rights found that 632 people had been killed in the dispersal of the camp, including eight policemen.
It said the violence erupted after “some armed elements suddenly opened fire” and killed an officer calling on protesters to disperse. But its findings were challenged by the pro-Mursi Anti-Coup Alliance, which has complained of “falsified claims” in the final report. 
More than 1,400 people have been killed in the military-installed government’s crackdown on Mursi’s supporters, according to Amnesty International. Thousands more, including Mursi and most of the leadership of the Muslim Brotherhood, have been detained.AFP

Teenager killed as Egypt police, students clash


CAIRO: A 13-year-old boy was killed yesterday in clashes between Egyptian police and student supporters of deposed president Mohamed Mursi, state media reported, as protests resumed on campuses nationwide.
The son of a Muslim Brotherhood leader was shot dead outside Beni Suef University south of Cairo, the official Mena news agency reported.
A hospital official had said earlier the boy was 15.
At Cairo University in the capital, police fired tear gas at almost 2,000 protesters who threw stones and launched fireworks, a correspondent said.
Mursi was ousted by the military last July, and his supporters have staged near-daily rallies since then.
Student demonstrations crippled higher education, delaying until this month a new university semester that was to have begun in February.
A police crackdown on the Islamists has killed more than 1,400 people in clashes, and thousands, including much of the leadership of Mursi’s Muslim Brotherhood movement, have been jailed.
Mursi himself currently faces three trials on various charges, including that of collusion with militant groups.
He was Egypt’s first democratically elected and civilian president, but his single and turbulent year in power widely alienated many who staged mass rallies calling for his resignation before the army stepped in.