RABAT: A Moroccan man convicted of abducting, raping and killing a 32-month-old girl has been sentenced to death, the official MAP news agency reported yesterday.
The 30-year-old man, himself the father of a little girl, was also ordered to pay the toddler’s family 200,000 dirhams (¤17,000) in compensation, according to the verdict issued on Thursday.
Last year Moroccan courts sentenced 10 people to death for various crimes, according to the newspaper L’Economiste. More than 100 people are on death row in the kingdom.
No executions have been carried out in the North African country since a moratorium was declared in 1993, but the death penalty has yet to be abolished.
Toll in Lebanon clashes rises to 6
TRIPOLI: The death toll from five days of clashes in Lebanon’s northern city of Tripoli between supporters and opponents of the Syrian regime has climbed to six, a security official said yesterday.
The latest casualty was a 22-year-old mother of two, who died from gunshot wounds she suffered on Thursday, he told AFP on condition of anonymity, adding that another 49 people have been wounded.
Sunni and Alawite gunmen have been fighting in the Bab Al Tebbaneh and Jabal Mohsen districts of Tripoli since Monday and were still exchanging gunfire last afternoon.