DAMASCUS: UN chemical weapons experts, in Syria to investigate alleged use of the banned arms, yesterday left their Damascus hotel to carry out a new mission, a photographer said.
The United Nations has said the experts are investigating seven alleged chemical weapons attacks and expect to wind up their work on the ground today. They hope to have a report ready “by late October”.
The alleged attacks being probed include a March 19 incident in Khan Al Assal, in Aleppo province of northern Syria, that both the regime and rebels reported.
Other sites being investigated include the Sheikh Maqsud neighbourhood of Aleppo city, allegedly the site of an April attack, and Saraqeb in the northwest province of Idlib on the border with Turkey.
The team is also continuing investigations into an August 21 attack in the suburbs of Damascus that coincided with their first mission to Syria last month. In addition, the team is investigating three alleged attacks — on August 22 in Bahhariyeh, near Damascus, on August 24 in the Jubar district of the capital, and an incident reported in Ashrafiyeh Sahnaya, Damascus province, on August 25.