Bahrain court jails 7 Shiites for 10 years, acquits 13

February 27, 2013 - 2:48:34 pm
DUBAI: A Bahraini court on Wednesday jailed seven Shiites for 10 years after finding them guilty of attempting to murder policemen during protests and acquitted 13 others, the attorney general said.
 
The 20, all males, had been accused of "intentionally attempting to kill policemen in the (Shiite) town of Sitra...using petrol bombs in mid-February last year, said attorney general Mhanna al-Shayji.
 
Two policemen were wounded in the attack in which a security forces vehicle was burnt, he said in a statement.
 
The main Shiite opposition bloc Al-Wefaq said that the 20 among them five children, were "tortured" during their interrogation and that confessions had been "extracted under duress".
 
Home to the US Fifth Fleet and strategically situated across the Gulf from Iran, Bahrain has continued to witness sporadic Shiite-led demonstrations which now take place in Shiite villages surrounding the capital.
 
The International Federation for Human Rights says around 80 people have been killed in Bahrain since the violence first broke out on February 14, 2011. (AFP)
 
      
comments powered by Disqus