UK parents reunited with sick son at Spain hospital

September 04, 2014 - 1:39:09 am
Father of British boy Ashya King, Brett King (centre), talks to the media after visiting his son at a hospital in Malaga, Spain, yesterday. King and his wife, the parents of the child suffering from a brain tumour, left the ‘Soto del Real’ prison in Madrid on Tuesday after National Court’s judge Fernando Andreu ordered their release. 

MALAGA, Spain: The British parents jailed after taking their critically-ill son Ashya King from hospital enjoyed an emotional reunion with him at his bedside in Spain yesterday, an official said. Brett King, 51, and his wife Neghemeh King, 45, saw their five-year-old son for the first time since they walked free, following the lifting of an extradition order against them by British prosecutors.

But officials warned the desperate parents must wait for a custody ruling to know whether they can take him away from the hospital to seek the alternative treatment they wanted for his brain tumour.

“They were able to see him without any problem. It was very emotional,” said an official at the children’s hospital in the southern Spanish city of Malaga, who asked not to be named.

The couple were detained on Saturday for having taken Ashya, who has a brain tumour, out of a British hospital without doctors’ consent.

Brett King had told reporters yesterday he feared he would not be allowed to see Ashya because an English court has had legal custody of the boy since last week when his parents took him to Spain.

He said he and his wife were longing to see the boy again after their four days in jail, saying “there was no minute that went by without our hearts hurting to see Ashya”. The hospital official told AFP the parents “can stay with him the whole time but they will not be able to take him out of the hospital until the custody issue is resolved”.

The top health official for the Andalusia region where Malaga is located, Maria Jose Sanchez, told reporters her department had been contacted by the court in Portsmouth and would have to consult with the justice ministry before taking “the appropriate decisions” on custody of Ashya. The couple had been held under an international warrant for taking Ashya out of hospital in Southampton, southern England after disagreeing with doctors about his cancer treatment.

Authorities issued the warrant fearing Ashya’s condition would deteriorate.

“We just want to show love to him because without that there is no purpose to life,” a visibly shaken King told reporters earlier yesterday, after being released.

“He hasn’t got too many months to live and we’re locked away in a cell,” the 51-year-old father told reporters. 

“We are just trying to speed things up to help him.”