Australians rally for Tasmania forest

June 15, 2014 - 1:29:06 am
Some 5,000 Australians at a rally to oppose the delisting of Tasmania’s World Heritage forests in Hobart yesterday.

SYDNEY: Thousands of Australians rallied yesterday against the proposed logging of protected forests in rugged Tasmania ahead of a Unesco World Heritage meeting where the issue will be discussed.

The conservative government has asked Unesco to revoke its World Heritage listing for 74,000 hectares of forest, claiming it was not pristine, and open it up to the timber industry.

The annual World Heritage Committee meeting starts today in Doha, with up to 5,000 people protesting the move outside Tasmania’s state parliament in Hobart.

The area slated for delisting is part of 120,000 hectares added last year to the Tasmanian Wilderness area under the previous Labor government — culminating a long battle waged by environmentalists.

“The Abbott government is attacking the notion of World Heritage by proposing to log iconic Tasmanian forests already accepted as World Heritage,” said Wilderness Society official Vica Bayley.

“With ancient trees up to 100 metres tall, these forests are the Southern Hemisphere’s equivalent of the Californian Redwoods.”

Australia’s timber industry has an annual turnover of A$22bn ($19.7bn) of economic turnover each year, contributes around A$8bn to the country’s GDP and employs more than 66,000 people, with Prime Minister Tony Abbott wanting more forest available.

“We don’t support, as a government and as a coalition, further lockouts of our forests. We just don’t support it,” he told a timber industry function earlier this year. “We have quite enough national parks, we have quite enough locked up forests already. In fact, in an important respect, we have too much locked up forest.”

The government claims the area it wants delisted is already “degraded”, having been logged before. 

AFP

comments powered by Disqus