Blasts kill at least 10 in Nairobi

May 17, 2014 - 12:00:00 am
The scene of an explosion on the outskirts of Nairobi’s business district where twin blasts claimed at least ten lives yesterday.  

NAIROBI: Back-to-back explosions killed at least 10 people in a packed Nairobi market yesterday, extending a spate of attacks that have piled pressure on the government and spurred Britain and other Western nations to warn citizens about travelling to Kenya.

Close to 70 people were wounded in the two blasts, Kenya’s National Disaster Operations Centre (NDOC) said, and the Kenya Red Cross appealed for blood donations to help the injured.

One explosion struck a minibus taxi, shattering the windows and flattening its tyres. It was near a market best known for selling second-hand clothes from wooden stalls with corrugated iron roofs. The second blast occurred near the same market.

Outside the blood-spattered minibus, clothes littered a street that had been bustling with shoppers earlier in the day.

“I saw the explosion. People were running in all directions,” a woman at the scene told journalists. “I know some of the people who died.” Nairobi County Police Commander Benson Kibui told journalists that one suspect was arrested near the market and another was detained elsewhere, without giving details.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility. In the past such attacks have been widely blamed on the Somali Islamist militant group Al Shabaab, which wants Kenyan troops out of Somalia. In September, gunmen from the group killed 67 people in an raid on a Nairobi shopping mall.

Reuters

comments powered by Disqus