London: A full-scale security review has been launched at Buckingham Palace after a man was arrested in a state room after scaling a fence and breaking in.
Police said the unnamed 37-year-old was found “in an area currently open to the public during the day” at 10.30pm on Monday.
He was arrested for burglary, trespass and criminal damage. A second man, 38, was arrested outside the palace for conspiracy to commit burglary.
The two men have been bailed while the police investigation continues.
It is believed that the intruder entered one of the 19 state rooms after scaling a 12ft fence and kicking down a poorly secured external door.
The break-in will embarrass police whose focus on royal security was said to have been increased following the birth of Prince George last month.
The palace’s state rooms - those designed for monarchs to “receive, reward and entertain their subjects and visiting dignitaries” - have been open to the paying public during August and September for the last 10 years.
The ease with which the man gained access will concern officials, although no member of the royal family was in residence at the time of the break-in.
Yesterday, a Scotland Yard spokesman said: “Police arrested two men following an incident in the vicinity of Buckingham Palace at approximately 22.20hrs on Monday, 2 September.