Congo rebels set terms for Goma pullout

November 28, 2012 - 12:00:00 am

GOMA: Rebels in Democratic Republic of Congo said yesterday that they would withdraw from the eastern city of Goma only if President Joseph Kabila agreed to their demands, which the Congolese government was quick to dismiss as a farce.

The deadlock raises the risk that the eight-month-old insurgency could turn into an all-out war in a region dogged by nearly two decades of conflict that has killed more than 5 million people, fuelled by competition over mineral resources.  

The M23 rebels, who UN experts say are backed by Rwanda and who say they want to “liberate” all of Congo, captured Goma last week after Congolese soldiers withdrew and UN peacekeepers gave up defending the city.

The Ugandan military, which has been coordinating talks with M23, said earlier that M23 leader Colonel Sultani Makenga had agreed to withdraw from Goma with no conditions.

But the political chief of M23, Jean-Marie Runiga, told reporters in Goma his forces would withdraw only if Kabila held national talks, released political prisoners and dissolved the electoral commission, a body accused by Western powers of delivering Kabila a second term in flawed 2011 polls.

“The withdrawal, yes. If Kabila agrees to our demands then we’ll go quickly,”  Runiga told reporters in a hotel in Goma, flanked by senior M23 officials in civilian clothes and rebels in military fatigues.

Runiga said Kabila’s government was rotten with corruption, lamented the country’s dilapidated roads, and said Congo’s only schools and hospitals had been left by Belgian former colonial rulers. He said any talks would have to tackle such issues. 

“We want the involvement of the political opposition, civil society and the diaspora so we can tackle these issues together, so that the people hear the truth and that once and for all we find a solution to the problems that have poisoned our society and politics,” he said.

“We are fighting to find solutions to Congo’s problems. Withdrawal from Goma is not a precondition to negotiations but a result of them,” he said. The conflicting statements indicated a solution to the insurgency in eastern Congo, which has displaced 140,000 civilians according to the United Nations, was not close.

Lambert Mende, Congo’s government spokesman, quickly dismissed M23’s demands.

“It’s a farce, that’s the word. There’s been a document adopted by the region. If each day they’re going to come back with new demands it becomes ridiculous. We’re no longer in the realm of seriousness,” Mende told Reuters from Kinshasa.

Later in the day, Ugandan military chief Aronda Nyakayirima read out the withdrawal plan to reporters, but made no mention of M23’s apparent rejection of the plan. He said the plan specified M23 would begin its withdrawal soon, and government troops would enter Goma two days later, followed by a visit by regional defence chiefs “to evaluate the situation and find out whether all these timelines were met”. 

The rebels showed no signs of an imminent pull-out and continued to guard strategic sites in Goma. More than half a dozen armed M23 fighters dressed in crisp fatigues stood in front of the central bank building as UN peacekeepers in two troop carriers looked on.

“This is a sign we are in this for the long haul. M23 is digging in while the Congolese army prepares another offensive,” said Jason Stearns of independent research organisation the Rift Valley Institute. “It is difficult to imagine what the possible compromise could be between the two sides,” Stearns said.

African leaders had at the weekend called on M23 to abandon their aim of toppling the government and to withdraw from Goma. 

Reuters

comments powered by Disqus