Youth killed in Kashmir firing; Let aide held

 24 Jun 2014 - 8:53

Indian paramilitary soldiers stand guard in front of closed shops during a shutdown in Srinagar yesterday.

Srinagar: A youth was killed and three people were injured yesterday when security forces fired at a stone-pelting mob in Sopore town of Jammu and Kashmir, officials said.
The incident took place when the mob started pelting stones at security forces following the death of a Pakistani militant — identified as Mehmood Bhai of the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) outfit — in an overnight gun battle with the security forces.
Police said in a statement that after the completion of the operation in Baba Raza Krankshevan area in which the Pakistani militant was killed, the security personnel were returning from the area when they were pelted with stones. “The mob attempted to set afire a security armoured vehicle. Security forces used non-lethal weapons but the situation could not be controlled,” police said.
A few shots were fired injuring four people.
One of the injured, identified as Arshad Ahmad Shah, son of Abdul Aziz Shah and resident of Seer Jagir area, succumbed to the injuries.
The other injured were hospitalised and were said to be out of danger.
Protestors carrying the body of the youth refused to bury him unless those responsible for the killing were punished.
On Sunday evening, security forces surrounded a house in Krankshevan area on receiving information about two-three guerrillas hiding inside. While the Pakistani guerrilla was killed, an associate believed to be a local escaped from the site.
Meanwhile, a guerrilla who tried to escape from a gunfight with security forces, in which a Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist was killed, was yesterday apprehended by security forces in Sopore town of Jammu and Kashmir, officials said.
“A joint operation by army and police was launched in Krankshevan village yesterday (Sunday) and ended today (Monday) with the elimination of one terrorist while the second terrorist was apprehended,” defence spokesman Colonel N N Joshi said here.
The operation was launched by the army, Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and the special operations group of police at 4pm on Sunday based on intelligence input regarding presence of terrorists in Krankshevan, he said.
While the suspected hideouts were being cordoned, “the terrorists hiding in one of the houses opened fire at the troops”, he said.
However, the security forces reacted swiftly and prevented any escape by the terrorists. The gun battle that ensued between the security forces and terrorists lasted throughout Sunday night.
The security forces eliminated one terrorist while the other continued to engage them till Monday.
When he attempted to escape, the troops managed to nab him.
The slain guerrilla was identified as Mehmood Bhai, a foreigner.
The apprehended terrorist was identified as Waseem, a resident of Palhalan in Baramulla district. He was later handed over to police. Both the terrorists belong to the LeT.
The troops found an AK-47 rifle, two magazines, 20 rounds of ammunition and a grenade.
During the operation, two security personnel sustained gunshot wounds, but their condition is said to be stable.
Chinar Corps commander Lt. Gen. Gurmit Singh commended the troops for executing “a thoroughly professional operation”.
He also lauded the troops as, despite injuries to two soldiers, “they ensured that there was neither any collateral damage nor injury to any civilian”.