Techie murder: Hindu outfit chief named as accused
11 Jun 2014 - 0:00
Pune: Dhananjay Desai, chief of the Hindu Rashtra Sena, has been named as an accused in the murder case of a Muslim IT worker who was beaten to death by a mob in Pune last week.
Desai, who was arrested in connection with distribution of provocative pamphlets last week, has denied any involvement in the murder of 28-year-old Mohsin Sadiq Shaikh. Currently lodged in the Yerwada Jail, he will be arrested by the Hadapsar Police in the murder case.
Twenty-one people have so far been arrested in connection with the murder of Shaikh. All the accused are linked with the Hindu Rashtra Sena, a right-wing organisation.
Mohsin Shaikh, the young software professional was killed on his way home from dinner in Pune last Monday. The police linked the brutal killing to the tension over the offensive images of Maratha warrior king Shivaji and Shiv Sena leader Bal Thackeray circulated on Facebook and WhatsApp. Mohsin was not linked to the uploading of the photos, the police has said.
The posting of morphed photos of iconic leaders on Facebook had triggered violence last week and again this weekend.
Meanwhile, the curfew imposed in Haryana’s Tauru town following communal violence after a road accident continued for the third day yesterday but was relaxed for three hours, officials said. The curfew was relaxed from 8am to 11am, and no untoward incident was reported during the relaxation period.
However, majority of shops and business outlets in Tauru, home to over 40,000 people, remained closed. The curfew was also relaxed on Monday from 4 to 7pm. It was imposed after violence erupted Sunday in in the Mewat district town, some 40 km from Gurgaon, after a truck mowed down two men on a motorbike, killing one of them on the spot.
The truck driver and his assistant, from the Meo community, were thrashed by a mob after the accident.
A rumour spread that the duo were beaten to death and people of a community from nearby villages pelted stones and damaged business outlets.
Police fired blanks to control the mob, but nearly a dozen people, including some policemen, were injured in the clash.
Police have registered 30 complaints from the two communities over the violence, but no one has been arrested.
The administration’s attempt to form a peace committee failed as traders demanded that the weapons used by the mob in attacking the market must be seized first. “We will keep our shops shut even after curfew is lifted if the large number of weapons used by the mob are not seized,” the trader’s body told officials.