Thai military stages coup after talks fail

May 23, 2014 - 8:53:01 am
Thai soldiers with heavy machine gun take position as they advance on pro-government Red Shirts after the army declared a coup at the rally site on the outskirts of Bangkok yesterday.

BANGKOK:  Thailand’s army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha seized control of the government in a coup yesterday, two days after he declared martial law, saying the military had to restore order and push through reforms after six months of turmoil.

The military declared a 10pm until 5am curfew, suspended the constitution and told outgoing cabinet ministers to report to an army base in the north of the capital by the end of the day. Rival protest camps were ordered to disperse.

Thailand is locked in a protracted power struggle between supporters of ousted former premier Thaksin Shinawatra and opponents backed by the royalist establishment that has polarised the country and battered its economy. “In order for the situation to return to normal quickly and for society to love and be at peace again ... and to reform the political, economic and social structure, the military needs to take control of power,” Prayuth said in the televised address.

The general made his broadcast after a meeting to which he had summoned the rival factions in Thailand’s drawn-out political conflict, with the aim of finding a compromise to end six months of anti-government protests.

But no progress was made and Prayuth wound up the gathering by announcing he was seizing power, according to a participant.

The United Nations human rights office voiced deep concern at the Thai army coup yesterday and said that martial law and military orders being imposed may infringe on fundamental freedoms.

Basic rights to freedom of opinion, expression and assembly are at risk, as well as guarantees of protection from arbitrary arrest or detention, it said.

“We remind the authorities of Thailand’s obligations under international human rights law in particular the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights which strictly limit the application of emergency powers,” UN human rights spokeswoman Ravina Shamdasani said.

The Thai armed forces have a long history of intervening in politics - there have been 18 previous successful or attempted coups since the country became a constitutional monarchy in 1932, most recently when Thaksin was deposed in 2006.

Hundreds of soldiers surrounded the meeting at Bangkok’s Army Club shortly before the coup announcement and troops took away Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the protests against the pro-Thaksin government.

Some of the other meeting participants were being held back in the venue afterwards, said a reporter waiting outside.

The army ordered rival protest camps to break up and soldiers fired into the air to disperse thousands of pro-government “red shirt” activists gathered in Bangkok’s western outskirts, a spokesman for the group said.

The military detained at least one leader of the activists, said the spokesman, Thanawut Wichaidit. A witness later said the protesters were leaving peacefully. Earlier their leader, Jatuporn Prompan, said they would continue their rally despite the coup. The army had declared martial law on Tuesday, saying the move was necessary to prevent violence.                            Reuters