New cyclone tears down Haiyan victims’ shelters
January 21, 2014 - 10:04:54 am
MANILA: The United Nations warned yesterday more needed to be done to help millions displaced by the Philippines’ deadliest typhoon, after a new cyclone tore down flimsy shelters.
More than 1,000 survivors of Super Typhoon Haiyan fled to the safety of government buildings in the town of Guiuan on the weekend as a fresh tropical storm flattened tents and ripped the roofing off other temporary shelters, officials said.
“The cyclone is a reminder that more needs to be done.... for vulnerable displaced people,” Russell Geekie, spokesman for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said.
Guiuan, on Samar island, was the first area to be devastated when Haiyan hit on November 8.
It left nearly 8,000 people dead or missing and more than four million others homeless. A UN aid appeal for nearly $800m last month for Haiyan relief is about 42 percent funded, but the component for shelters was “only a fifth funded.” Geekie said.
British aid group Oxfam also warned the temporary shelters given to Haiyan survivors were no match for the extreme weather in the Philippines, which is hit by an average of 20 storms and typhoons each year, along with frequent earthquakes. AFP