Manila appeals for patience in identifying victims

December 30, 2013 - 10:28:04 am

MANILA: The Philippine government asked the public for patience yesterday it takes time for authorities to identify the bodies placed in mass graves in the Visayas region in the aftermath of super typhoon Yolanda.

Herminio Coloma Jr, the  Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary, made the statement amid reported complaints by residents in Tacloban City in central province of Leyte, one of the worst hit areas, that some 1,000 bodies are rotting in the city alone and may pose a health hazard.

“It might take some time (to identify the cadavers) because of the huge number of those who perished,” he said over a state-run radio station.

He said that the primary interest of the government is to ensure the health and safety of the public.

Myanmar eases visa rules for Filipinos

MANILA: Filipinos can visit Myanmar without a visa starting early next year when the agreement between the Philippines and Myanmar on visa-free entry takes effect, the Philippines’ Department of Foreign Affairs said.

With the pact, Filipino nationals holding ordinary passports may now enter Myanmar without a visa and stay there for up to 14 days beginning January 4 next year, the department said.

“The visa-free entry agreement is expected to boost tourism, trade and investment between the Philippines and Myanmar,” it said.

During Myanmar President U Thein Sein’s state visit to the Philippines last Dec. 5, the two governments signed the Visa Exemption for Holders of Ordinary Passports.

Plane suffers glitch at Kalibo Airport

KALIBO, Philippines: A plane from the Philippine Airlines Express (PAL Express) suffered a glitch from the Kalibo International Airport (KIA), a main gateway to Central Philippines’ world-famous resort of Boracay Island, on Thursday night, authorities said.

Initial report from local officials of the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) said the plane coming from Metro Manila to KIA was about to taxi its way to the departure area when the pilot decided to stop the plane at the middle of the runway.

CAAP officials said the front wheel of the plane got stuck on the runway, which prompted the pilot to call for an emergency. CAAP authorities then assisted the plane as it taxied its way to the departure area.

CAAP officials will continue to investigate the incident, the agency added.

The Philippine Star

comments powered by Disqus