MALE: Police in the Maldives said yesterday they had begun investigating a claim by opposition chief Mohamed Nasheed that he was in danger of being assassinated.
“The complaint has been made to the defence ministry, but we have also taken note of it and begun our own investigations,” police spokesman Abdulla Nawaz said by telephone. “We take this seriously.”
He said Nasheed, 46, was currently being accorded protection by the Maldivian National Defence Force (MNDF).
Nasheed’s office said in a statement that they had information about an assassination plan involving two Al Qaeda operatives who had already arrived in the capital Male.
The country faces political tension over twice scuttled presidential elections and doubts over fresh polls scheduled for November 9.
Nasheed, a former president who was toppled 20 months ago, had won the first round of elections on September 7 with 45 percent of the popular vote, which should have led to a second-round run-off.
However, the country’s highest court annulled those results and called fresh elections which were due to open on October 19, but police stopped that vote going ahead citing disputed procedural flaws.
If no candidate gets 50 percent at the rescheduled polls on November 9, a run-off is due on November 16. AFP