- Special Pages
JUBA, South Sudan: Heavily armed rebels have killed more than 100 people, including women and children, in a cattle raid in South Sudan’s troubled Jonglei state, local officials said yesterday.
The people of Walgak in Akobo County were migrating north on Friday to the wetlands with cattle “and were being escorted by an army platoon when they came under attack by a huge force using automatic weapons,” Jonglei governor Kuol Manyang said. He said 103 people were killed, including 14 soldiers from the platoon, while the rest were civilians, mostly women and children.
Deputy military spokesman Kella Kueth confirmed the incident and said some 500 people remained missing. He was not able to confirm the military casualties. Akobo County Commissioner Goi Jooyul issued a statement confirming the deaths of the 14 troops and quoted survivors as saying the assailants were armed with everything from rocket-propelled grenades to spears and machetes.
His statement also confirmed “hundreds of families” were still missing. “The attackers left with cattle and hundreds of children and women who have not reported back to the village,” he said, explaining that some 3,000 people in all had been moving with their cattle when they came under attack. AFP