Kidnap, abuse victim found alive after 10 years

 23 May 2014 - 0:56

A television cameraman films the apartment complex where suspected kidnapper Isidro Garcia allegedly kept a woman he kidnapped 10 years ago.

LOS ANGELES: A California man was charged yesterday with kidnapping and repeatedly sexually assaulting a woman for a decade while holding her captive with threats and coercion, police said.
Isidro Medrano Garcia, 42, was indicted a day after police announced that the woman, now aged 25, had come forward with a child fathered by Garcia, who allegedly forced her to marry him.
He faces up to 19 years in jail if convicted.
The alleged victim was the daughter of Garcia’s then live-in girlfriend in a Los Angeles suburb. He began by grooming her while still living with her mother, and kidnapped her after a fight with his girlfriend.
“Between August 2004 and April 2014, Garcia is accused of controlling Jane Doe by telling her that her family did not want her and was not looking for her,” the Orange County District Attorney’s office said in a statement.
“He is accused of threatening the victim that if she called the police to report him, she would get in trouble for using a false identity,” it said.
The couple moved around to evade being located by police, police said.
The case started in February 2004 when Garcia met the victim while living with her mother. In June that year, Garcia is accused of “grooming” her by buying gifts and taking her side in arguments.
Two months later Garcia and the mother got into a fight, which was reported to the local Santa Ana Police Department, “but a case could not be proven at that time. 
“Shortly thereafter, Garcia is accused of kidnapping (her),” and “taking her to a house in Compton and holding her against her will,” it said, referring to the infamously rough south Los Angeles neighbourhood.
The next day he allegedly gave her a fake ID, which he used to threaten her. He even secured a job for her where he worked, but this only helped him to never let her out of his sight.
In 2010, he allegedly got her pregnant.
Her path to release began this April, when she contacted her sister on Facebook. After meeting with her sister and mother, she came forward to police last Monday.
Details which have emerged suggest that, while not physically held captive, she was effectively kept from fleeing by sexual and emotional abuse.