Nabil Al Buenain (third left) presenting a memento to a China Harbour Engineering Company official in the presence of Chinese Ambassador to Qatar Gao Youzhen (left) at an event held to mark the achievement of 10 million man-hour LTI free.
DOHA: The development works of New Doha Port is fast progressing and the project would be delivered on time. The works are progressing as per the schedule and will be ready for operation in 2016, Nabil Al Buenain, Project Executive Director, New Port Project (NPP), said on Thursday.
Giving an update of the QR27bn worth project works, Nabil told The Peninsula that of the total project cost, contracts worth QR11bn have already been awarded. Over 60 percent of these contracts were bagged by Qatari companies, he said while talking on the sidelines of an event hosted by China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC) to celebrate its completion of “10 million man-hour LTI (lost time incident) free.”
The CHEC is involved in a key excavation and reclamation works of the project.
Gao Youzhen, the Chinese Ambassador to Qatar, said the major portion of the contracting work awarded to the CHEC is over. The development works are on the final phase.
“The company is confident of meeting the June 2015 deadline,” he said.
The CHEC’s contract includes excavation of 17 metres deep port basin, construction of Quay Wall, construction of 2.7km long inner breakwaters to protect ship entrance channel leading to New Doha Port Project basin, and removal of 63 million cubic metres of sand and rock.
The company has so far excavated over 65 percent of the Port Basin, improved over 5.4km2 of the ground, placed over 12,800 pre-cast concrete blocks in the Quay Walls and completed over 2.7km of marine breakwaters.
Latest technology is being used to blast the significantly harder rock formations being encountered at current excavation depths ranging between -15 and -20 metres below sea level.
Cutting edge technology including 180 heavy duty excavators, 400 dump trucks, 6 rotary drum trench cutters, 3 standard surface miners, and one super-mega surface miner are being utilised.
The Chinese envoy said more companies will be coming to Qatar to take part in Qatar’s booming infrastructure sector. Some Chinese companies are also looking for partnership with Qatar in the energy sector, he said.
Nabil said the ‘10 million man-hours without accident’ is a milestone achievement in the Doha Port Project. “This is a major achievement. The project work is based on strong safety culture and time management. Each worker knows that they are working in a safe place and the productivity has also increased due to it. Workers are not supposed to do what they are not supposed to. There is a foolproof mechanism to monitor the supervisors to ensure that everything is going according to our plans,” he said.