Australian bitten by taipan snake dies

 27 Dec 2016 - 22:35

AFP

Sydney: A MAN has died a week after being bitten by taipan, one of the world's deadliest snakes in his living room in Australia's tropical northeast, officials said yesterday.
The 77-year-old, named in local media as David Pitt, was at his home in Cairns when he was bitten between his toes as he tried to kill the snake with a spade last Tuesday, Queensland Ambulance said.
Paramedics performed CPR and gave Pitt anti-venom treatment before taking him to Cairns Base Hospital in a critical condition.
"There's quite a lot of blood on the scene so potentially the snake had actually hit a vein instead of just entering the tissue itself. It was quite a rapid injection of the venom," critical care flight paramedic Valerie Noble said.
Pitt remained in intensive care but died on Monday, a hospital spokeswoman said.
The snake was reportedly a 1.5-metre long coastal taipan, the world's third-most venomous snake.