Bartra miss hands Bayern the German Super Cup

 07 Aug 2017 - 2:21

Bartra miss hands Bayern the German Super Cup
Bayern Munich’s players celebrates with the trophy after winning the Supercup final.


Dortmund:  Bayern Munich lifted the German Super Cup on Saturday with a 5-4 win in a penalty shoot-out at Borussia Dortmund after Marc Bartra had his crucial final spot-kick saved.
The game finished 2-2 over 90 minutes as Christian Pulisic’s early goal for Dortmund was cancelled out by Robert Lewandowski.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, last season’s top-scorer in the Bundesliga, restored Dortmund’s lead with 19 minutes left before Lukasz Piszczek’s late own goal took the match straight to penalties.
Ex-Barcelona defender Bartra, the only player badly injured in April’s bomb attack on the Dortmund team bus, saw the 12th spot-kick saved to hand Bayern the Cup for the second year running. Aubameyang, the subject of a big-money offer from China, and Ousmane Dembele, who Barcelona have reportedly tabled a 70m euros ($82.4m) offer for as Neymar’s replacement, both impressed for Dortmund.
The win gives Bayern their first title of the season as the defending champions open the new Bundesliga season on August 18 at home to Bayer Leverkusen.
The win offers head coach Carlo Ancelotti a welcome boost after his team lost five of their six previous warm-up games.
Dortmund took the lead after just 12 minutes when Javi Martinez lingered over the ball a fraction too long and was robbed by Pulisic. He tucked his shot past Sven Ulreich, Bayern’s stand-in goalkeeper with Germany’s shot-stopper Manuel Neuer just back in training after foot surgery, who later saved Bartra’s spot kick.
Bayern drew level on 18 minutes when a super long pass from new-signing Sebastian Rudy found Kimmich, whose cross was buried by Lewandowski at close range. Dembele’s pass picked out Aubameyang and the Gabon striker showed ice-cold finishing to put Dortmund ahead on 71 minutes.
      Both Bayern’s Kimmich and Dortmund’s Sebastian Rode had their penalties saved in the shoot-out until Bartra’s shot was blocked by Ulreich.